Big Announcement - Book on its Way!

Time to fess up.  I made a decision a few months ago - round about October or November - that I would self-publish.  It wasn't a new idea.  It was Plan A back in 2006, but I wanted to snoop around the traditional publishing world first, to see what was on offer.  The idea of my writerly self and my entrepreneurial self being let loose on the same project excited me.  As the new and shiny world of e-publishing got newer and shinier, I lusted after it even more.  When I pulled together statistics about the earnings of traditionally published writers, and the time-frame for publication, the shininess of the alternative was almost blinding, and I gave in to my guilty longing to be an indie author.  


I sent out some missives.  'Dear ***, Thank you for considering my manuscript but I am no longer seeking representation.  Yours etc...'  It was unexpected - and flattering - to be challenged on this, but I stood by my decision.  Brave or idiotic?  Too soon to say.

There are so many reasons behind this choice.  Some are general and others are personal to me.  It certainly is not the path for everyone, and there is much work to be done that I could have avoided if I chose the traditional route, but I am learning every day.  I planned to keep it to myself until the last second but then I realised I'm cheating everyone out of the journey.  The blog is From Brain to Bookshelf, after all.  Any advice on ISBNs, etc would be very gratefully received.

The first bound galley is on its way here.  Doubtless, there will be much editing to do when it arrives.  The cover is complete, but I need to see how it looks on the physical book, and I have a book vid!  Wanna see?


Sarah  – (21 February 2010 at 15:37)  

OH MY LIFE!!!! Yeah congrats you for taking this stance and going for it. Good luck hunny!!!! Love ya.. Seriouslykooky xxx

Anonymous –   – (21 February 2010 at 16:29)  

Entirely support this decision as more and more authors should be made aware of the minute returns that the 'traditional' route entails. In fact, I believe that the higher the quality of self-publishing, and the more interesting the market will become for all of us. Furthermore, a self-published author is on the highway to becoming a business person, something that many writers do not have a clue about when they really should! I wish you well with this most exciting project.

Guinevere  – (21 February 2010 at 16:50)  

I'm looking forward to reading more about the self-publication journey! I want to see!

Toad  – (21 February 2010 at 17:06)  

what a great step. Congratulations

Rebecca Woodhead  – (21 February 2010 at 17:26)  

Thanks everyone :) I think I might have to put up that book trailer - give you all a bit of a taste of the book.

C  – (1 March 2010 at 11:40)  

http://mashable.com/2009/03/01/publish-book/

Some publishing options - Jarvis

Post a Comment

Welcome to the blog. I love to hear your feedback so don't be shy. You don't have to follow me but if you'd like to, just click the follow button. Thanks!


Cannot express how helpful these social media tools are

I write like
Margaret Atwood

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

My debut novel

My debut novel
Palaces and Calluses

My Website

My Website
All my blogs link from here

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP