How Do You Like Your Heroes and Heroines? The Results!

The Poll

Now, before we all get too excited it is worth mentioning that only 17 people voted in this poll but the result was overwhelmingly supportive of one category. Hopefully, if you have a different point of view and never got round to voting, you'll comment here and let everyone know your opinion.

3% of votes went to.... strong hero and submissive heroine
3% of votes went to.... strong heroine and submissive hero
but a massive 64% of votes went to *drum roll*... strong hero and strong heroine!

The Impact

This is all highly unscientific but I'm going to assume - because it's my blog and I can - that this poll is highly representative of the opinions of the reading public as a whole. I'm sure you'll correct me if you disagree.

So, if this is accurate, why does it matter? Well, if you fell down on the side of 'plot' in the last great debate then it may not matter too much but for those of us with a lust for characters it's crucial.

If you are writing romantic fiction - or if your writing involves heroes and heroines interacting in any other capacity - you need to know that the old stereotypes are not likely to please your readers. In short, the call is for kick-arse (or kick-ass if you're American) characters. I for one say 'hurrah!'

What do you think? Is the poll accurate or are you kicking yourself for not taking part? Defend your opinions. The future of fiction is in your hands.

...Or not... it's just a bit of fun really but I fancy a bit of drama today so let battle commence!

Rebecca

Eric  – (16 April 2009 at 18:26)  

I am ashamed to say I didn't take part, but I would have to agree with the results. I think most people don't really have too much respect for submissive characters, nor do they really want to read about them, particularly not if they are the hero/heroine. This is not 100% the case, but I'd bet its the majority of the time. Even in stories where the hero/heroine is submissive in the beginning, we all expect and demand that they grow in to strong status.

Toad  – (17 April 2009 at 06:58)  

Mr. Darcy wins again, eh?

Rebecca Woodhead  – (17 April 2009 at 12:10)  

Good points Eric.

Toad, of course you're right. There have been strong heroes and heroines for centuries. Where does the idea of the 'traditional' submissive heroine come from then? I know I feel that this is a traditional stereotype, but the more I think about it the less I'm sure why. Shakespeare had plenty of kick-arse heroines after all.

Mr Darcy's been a gift to writers over the years. He's like a good stock. Start with Darcy, add a bit of this and a bit of that, give it a stir and you've got a hero for every occasion!

Rebecca

Eric  – (21 April 2009 at 17:54)  

One more thing Rebecca. You are hereby officially a lemon. Don't you feel special? Check it out :) http://workingmymuse.blogspot.com/2009/04/im-lemon.html

Rebecca Woodhead  – (22 April 2009 at 16:59)  

Yay!! Thanks Eric. I'll put it up and put on my lemonade hat (bendy straws and all)to see who deserves the honour next.

Post a Comment

Welcome to the blog. I love to hear your feedback so don't be shy. You don't have to follow me but if you'd like to, just click the follow button. Thanks!


Cannot express how helpful these social media tools are

I write like
Margaret Atwood

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

My debut novel

My debut novel
Palaces and Calluses

My Website

My Website
All my blogs link from here

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP