Charlie Wins First Follower Award!

I've got a follower on my new blog and it's Charlie. Well done Charlie you win... well nothing actually. Bragging rights if I'm ever famous - how's that?

2009 So Far...
Well, the calendar informs me that it is now spring - although surprisingly Britain only gets 10 days of it. I had long suspected our spring was short but 10 days?!


The calendar declares that 'Spring begins' on the 20th of March but 'British Summer Time begins' on 29th of March. I'm counting the 20th and the 29th as days of spring but really that may be optimistic. There's no indication of when on the 20th 'Spring begins.' It's hardly going to begin in the middle of the night when the daisies are asleep is it? More likely around about 7 or 8 in the morning when the bees are up, so it's not even a full day. In fact, let’s forget the 20th. If summer begins on the 29th then it can't be spring then can it? We'll forget that too. Really, spring is 8 days then. A week and a bit. Not much of a bit. Basically, it's a week isn't it?

So, your boyfriend proposes. It's the happiest day in your life and you plan to marry the following year.

'Let's make it a spring wedding' you say.
'Oh let's do that' he gushes - or something.

How likely are you to be together the following spring given there's only a week of days available to you? That's only one Saturday. If you want to get married when most people aren't at work, you have ONE DAY to do it.


Any idea how bloody expensive that will be? Supply and demand, my friends. By next year, you'll be a broken couple. I'm sorry, I know you've just got engaged but it's time to face facts. You said yes to a spring wedding? Seriously? In a recession? Doomed!

If any of your friends are getting married within the next few days, be kind to them: they've had a tough year.

Anyway, back to the point. It's spring and that means you took your New Year resolutions a quarter of a year ago. How many have you accomplished? Hmm? Got that manuscript out of the drawer? Dusted it off? Sent it off to an agent have you? Hmm? (I sound so like that baby off Family Guy don't I?)

My plan, for the rest of spring (i.e. between now and the end of next week) is to draw up a list of four agents to send my newly edited manuscript to - and to newly edit my manuscript sufficient to send it to them. Who's with me? Post your own writing resolutions for the rest of spring in the comment section.

Oh... and check out my posh new blog too.
http://rebeccawoodhead.blogspot.com

Rebecca

Rebecca Woodhead  – (21 March 2009 at 22:51)  

By the way, I know I split an infinitive but it's my blog and I don't care! (Secretly I do care a bit but I can't be bothered to remove it.) Let me off all right? We get 8 days of spring... 8 days!!

Anonymous –   – (22 March 2009 at 01:57)  

Just discovered your blog - congratulations on your wonderful accomplishment(s). Two books. I wish you every success and hope you find home soon at a publishing house.
Best Wishes,
Kim Simpson
IResolveTo.Com

Angie Ledbetter  – (22 March 2009 at 05:26)  

I have the very same writing goal...although it'll never be met in such a short time! Good luck!!!

Rebecca Woodhead  – (1 April 2009 at 17:59)  

Welcome Kim. Well, British spring is now officially over. Nobody told the daffodils but still... Angie - how did your goal go? I let myself off some of it due to the whole not-being-able-to-think-due-to-pain scenario but I did... edit a whole novel. I am now patting myself on the back.

Rebecca

Post a Comment

Welcome to the blog. I love to hear your feedback so don't be shy. You don't have to follow me but if you'd like to, just click the follow button. Thanks!


Cannot express how helpful these social media tools are

I write like
Margaret Atwood

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

My debut novel

My debut novel
Palaces and Calluses

My Website

My Website
All my blogs link from here

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP